Acquire must be in Admin mode to perform these steps.
The Acquire.4dd file where the configuration and data are stored should be backed up daily.
The Backup Preferences screen allows the backup settings to be configured.
1. Select ‘Server Preferences…’ from the ‘Admin’ menu
2. Click ‘Backup’ in the left column
Enabling daily backups
To enable daily backups:
- Tick the ‘Enable Backup’ checkbox.
- Set the number of days to keep the backups for. It is recommended that 7 days should be sufficient for most applications. Acquire will automatically recycle old backups.
- Set the time that the backup should run. To avoid backup failures this should be during a quiet time where there is no activity on the server. To ensure that the server is quiet click the ‘Pause Modbus and Webserver During Backup’ checkbox. Note: When setting the backup time, bear in mind that reports tend to run on the turn of the hour and also check that the backup time does not conflict with the time synchronization time.
- Set the path for where the backup files should be stored. It is recommended that the backup files should be stored on a different disk and preferably on a different computer at a different site.
- Click the ‘OK’ button for the new settings to take effect.
The backup will automatically run at the next scheduled time.
Restoring a backup
To restore a backup:
- Quit Acquire.
- Open the folder that contains the current Acquire.4dd file (normally C:\Acquire\Database).
- Rename that file Acquire dd-mm-yy.4dd (where dd-mm-yy is the current date). It is good practice to always keep this file so you always have the broken file in case there is a problem with the main backup.
- Open the backup folder (as defined in the Server Backup Path).
- Copy the latest backup file into the main Acquire folder (normally C:\Acquire\Database).
- Rename the .4DD file to be Acquire.4DD
- Remove any .4Dindy, .4DIndx, and .4dr files that are in this folder. They will automatically get recreated.
- Launch Acquire. You will be asked to locate the .4DD file.
Tip: It is prudent to check the reports to ensure that the latest reports have been stored in the database.
3. Click the ‘OK’ button